Thursday 19 January 2012

Annotated Bibliography

Geo Interview (n.d.) Remembering Ub Iwerks,[online] Available at: http://www.crazycollege.org/IwerksFilmFax.htm [Accessed: sunday 8th january 2012].


This a typed up interview for GEO with John Kenworthy and Leslie Iwerks about Ub and their book 'The Hand Behind the Mouse'.  This was a very successful site in terms of reading about Ub's life as it is so rarely documented this site gave me rare insight from his granddaughter.  It enabled me to source direct quotes from both of them that I could use in context in my research.  It helped me back up most points I was making about Ub's life as I used it in most of my posts.  There are a few grammar and spelling mistakes but that could be down to the difference in American and English spellings.  


Digital Media FX (2001) The Early Disney Years,[online] Available at: http://www.digitalmediafx.com/Features/ubiwerks.html [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This site is the website for a magazine and the information that was posted about Ub was meant to be an incentive to get the magazine or sign up to the website to read the full article.  It was successful in helping me write about Ub's early life but apart from that it could have been better if they posted the rest of the article with a clear link but again I used it a lot so it was really helpful to a point.   


Google (n.d.) Ub Iwerks Picture. [image online] Available at: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhi5g7zwMjDTs0notHiFGiHdvltKN75VOOks7Ys_zC9PkPunjo3WgKchZtRVU6f05RJpp6ULA9oKjBqb-Xgx_NOOrvMaF6vQ_DYZQ_o5sy6dhaSYIdd_i3XU7rSFJVYH80zX7LZWTtxpI_d/s1600/Audiência+de+Tv++2010.jpg [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This was just a picture I found on google after searching Ub Iwerks as I wanted to show a picture of the man I was going to research.  It was really useful as it was clear and one of the few images that actually show him clearly.  


Google Search (n.d.) Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks Photo. [image online] Available at: http://blog.unl.edu/dixon/files/2011/09/WD3507b.jpg [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


Again I needed a picture of Disney and Ub together as I was writing about how they met and I found this on a google image search it helped me demonstrate their friendship as they do look close in the picture and it is one of the only photos that shows them together.  


Ford, B. (1989) Walt Disney: A Biography , 3rd ed. United States: Walker & Company . [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012] 


This book was published to give people who were interested an idea about Disney's life as an unofficial biography of sorts. It was quite successful in telling the story of Disney's life but it was long winded and could have used a bit more summarising as it took me a while to find the information I needed but I did find it and I used to to back up my research into Disney's and Ub's friendship.  


eternalfrost21 (2007) Gertie The Dinosaur. [video online] Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY40DHs9vc4 [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This was a youtube video and it was posted for public viewing to show an early animation by Winsor McCay.  This video was successful in showing how good early animation was and in such good quality.  It helped me back up my point that Ub was inspired by McCay and his work as it is clever and pretty good as early animation goes.  


Google Search (n.d.) Oswald The Lucky Rabbit. [image online] Available at: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhZOBmx7wW5V-2WtfQ35PEOBMFua2q3Ib-kOGkZEdOZMkjUOF_KOpbZSc6CPBFkirzqj7gMaDRh1QMTBEcVnpYejNovoL_K18GUn9tR3wL4Hu3-v9wrPk3wR7e46ZWzZSGtTEc3DLRJ-Dku/s320/oswald-the-lucky-rabbit.gif [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


Google Search (n.d.) Oswald The Lucky Rabbit Image. [image online] Available at: http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1382256/article_images/oswald2.jpg [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This is a picture I google searched to give a visual representation of the information I had written on Oswald The Lucky Rabbit.  It helped me as it was one of the many search results that was the black and white version that showed the character in different angles and it also helped me back up my point that I thought it looked a bit like Mickey Mouse.  The second link was found in by the same method of search and I used it to back up my research on Oswald and it helped me show that even though Ub drew it all his name wasn't shown in the credits, so it was helpful and couldn't be improved.  


Tv Tropes (n.d.) The Silent Age of Animation,[online] Available at: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSilentAgeOfAnimation [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This website provides the public with information on the silent age of animation.  It helped me with my research on Oswald and back up my points on why it was successful.  It was helpful to me as I just wanted a bit more information on the silent age so that I could write about it with a clear understanding of what it was and why it was important to my research on Oswald and Ub.  


TV Tropes (n.d.) Oswald The Lucky Rabbit,[online] Available at: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OswaldTheLuckyRabbit [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This website it for the public and it tells the story of Oswald in detail for anyone that would need to know about him.  It was really successful in providing information on the rabbit it was the best site that I could find.  It helped me write about Oswald in detail and get more of an idea about Ub and his work.  


laughland (2006) Oswald The Luck Rabbit Trolley Troubles. [video online] Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9LmDpMO2k0 [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This video was posted by someone on youtube for the public to view if they were interested in Oswald cartoons or early animation.  It was successful in showing me exactly wanted to see even if the sound was added later I could mute it and watch it in both with and without sound so it was fine and it really helped me give a visual representation of what I was writing about and showing off Ub's drawing/animation skills.  


Google Search (n.d.) Modern Mickey Mouse. [image online] Available at: http://images.free-extras.com/pics/m/mickey_mouse-1097.jpg [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This image again was found in a google image search and it helps prove my point that the design of Mickey has changed a lot from what Ub originally drew and the commercial version we are used to seeing these days and again it is a public image that can be found by anyone that searches for it.  


Ub Iwerks (n.d.) Mickey and Minnie Mouse Cell Drawing. [image online] Available at: http://www.alexross.com/DYP006.jpg [Accessed: Sunday 8th January 2012].


This image was a little harder to find but it helps prove my point on how well Ub could draw and again how much his version of Mickey and Minnie mouse have changed over the years.  


disneyanimation (2009) Steamboat Willie Video. [video online] Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgghnQF6E4 [Accessed: Tuesday 10th January 2012]. &

disneyanimation (2009) Plane Crazy. [video online] Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCZPzHg0h80 [Accessed: Tuesday 10th January 2012]




This was a youtube video posted for the public it is a video of the early animation, Steamboat Willie.  It is very successful in showing the animation as it is clear and it doesn't have to buffer all the time.  It was very helpful to me as it helped back up everything I was writing about early animation and how it showed Mickey in a different light one that was more rebellious and one that I preferred as he had more about him. The video for plane crazy does this as well and it also helped me prove what cartoons could do that other motion capture films couldn't do at the time.  


Disney Shorts (1997) Plane Crazy, [online] Available at: http://www.disneyshorts.org/shorts.aspx?shortID=94 [Accessed: Tuesday 10th January 2012].


This is a public website and so the information on the page can be accessed by anyone that googles the site or comes across it by accident.  It was a really good website with loads of information just about that one video and it really help me back up all the points I was making about Plane Crazy based on what I had researched so far.  


Tv Tropes (n.d.) Flip The Frog. [online] Available at: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlipTheFrog [Accessed: Tuesday 17th January 2012]. &
Tv Tropes (n.d.) Willie Whopper. [online] Available at: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WillieWhopper [Accessed: Tuesday 17th January 2012].



Both of these sites are available and easily accessible to the public.  They were packed with information that I found really interesting to read and then write about.  Some of the links could have been improved and some of the information could have done with extra links to references so that I could do further research easier that directly linked to what I had read already.   These websites helped be back up my research and points I wanted to make about the early Ub animations.  Both sites also had an image I could use for my research which was a huge bonus and these websites were the most useful out of all the websites I used for this research blog.  


Find A Grave (2004) Ub Iwerks Grave. [image online] Available at: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=8690&PIpi=961897 [Accessed: Wednesday 18th January 2012]. &
Find A Grave (2002) Ub Iwerks Grave. [image online] Available at: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=8690&PIpi=218892 [Accessed: Wednesday 18th January 2012].


This site is a public site that allows you to search for anyones grave and it was a really obscure website so finding it was tricky and I stumbled upon it by accident so it could be more publicised so that I and others could find it easier in the future.  It was a really interesting website it didn't have to much information but the pictures were so useful when it came to writing about Ub's death.    

No comments:

Post a Comment